Prof. Krishna Menon
Professor , School of Human Studies
- PhD – Department of Political Science, University of Delhi, 1998
- MPhil- Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University,1988
- MA- Centre for Political Studies, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University,1986
- BA (Hons) Department of Political Science, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi,1984
Membership of Committees
- 2019 External Member, Internal Complaints Committee, National Brain Research Centre, Manesar, Haryana, India
- 2018 Member, Lieutenant Governor’s Task Force on Women’s Safety in Delhi
- 2018 Expert Member, Review Committee on Research Project Indian Defense Forces: Gender and Peacekeeping, Defense Institute of Psychological Research, Defense Research and Development Organization
- 2018-2020 Expert Member, Gender Studies Department Board, NCERT
- 2018 Expert Member, Doctoral Advisory Board, Gender Studies, IGNOU
- 2014-2017 Member, Board of Studies, School of Undergraduate Studies, Ambedkar University Delhi
- 2014-2016 Member, Board of Studies, Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie, India
- 2010-2011 Member, Ethics Committee, NGO SAMA, India
- 2005-2008 Member, Textbook Committee NCERT
- 2019 Member, Board of Management, AUD
- 2017 Member, Academic Council, AUD
- 2017 Chair, Board of Studies, School of Human Studies, AUD.
- 2017 Chair, Research Studies Committee, School of Human Studies, AUD.
- 2015-2016 Convener, Internal Quality Assurance Committee, NAAC Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi
- 2013-2015 Chair, Committee Against Sexual Harassment, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi
- 1998-2000 Member, Governing Body, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi.
Curriculum Development: New Academic Programmes and Courses (Launched)
- 2020 PhD in Disability Studies, School of Human Studies, AUD.
- 2019 MPhil in Disability Studies, School of Human Studies, AUD.
- 2018 The Design of Democracy (MDes. course for the School of Design, AUD).
- 2010 Convener, MA Programme Curriculum Development Team - Gender Studies, Ambedkar University Delhi.
- 2020 Gender and Development, Politics and Administration in South Asia by Jamil et. al. South Asian Institute of Policy and Governance, North-South University, Bangladesh.
- 2016 Feminist Subversion and Complicity: Governmentalities and Gender Knowledge in South Asia
- 2020 ‘Perspectives on Gender Violence’ School of Gender and Development Studies, IGNOU.
- 2020 Book launch of the book titled ‘Doing Feminisms in the Academy’ organized online by Zubaan.
- 2020 ‘Feminist Ruminations on the Pandemic’ - Global Jindal University, Sonipat.
- 2018 ‘The Dialogue on Nationalism’ Shiv Nadar School, NOIDA,.
- 2018 ‘Police: Security, Crimes and Women’s Safety in Delhi’ Delhi Matters, India International Centre. New Delhi.
- 2016 ‘Education and Socialization to Counter Gender Bias and Discrimination’- at the National Consultation on Effective Intervention and Communication Strategies to Counter Violence Against Women WISCOMP, New Delhi.
- 2016 ‘Understanding Social Sciences and Humanities’, Mentor Yes
- 2015 Strengthening Public Discourse on Domestic Violence-Centre for Advocacy and Research (CFAR).
- 2015 Developing the Idea of School of Life: Facilitating Multi-Stakeholder Exchange, International Centre for Advocacy and Research. New Delhi.
- 2018 Round Table on Dissemination of Harmful Messages on Social Media- by NLU, Delhi as part of consultations with Chris Daniels, CEO of WhatsApp, New Delhi.
- 2017 National Commission for Women-consultative meeting for agenda setting towards new research directions.
- 2017 Jury member of the Sahas award given by WISCOMP for initiatives against violence against women.
- 2017 Nominated as a member of the Study -Group constituted by Government of N.C.T. Delhi to study and analyse issues relating to women’s safety in the National Capital Territory of Delhi-
- 2017 Jury member at the Laadli Media Awards given by Women’s Feature Services.
- 2020 Faculty Development Programme - Rama Devi Women’s University, Orissa and Miranda House on the ‘Pandemic and Inclusivity’.
- 2020 ‘What is politics and how is feminism a political issue? Why is feminism relevant to students’ - National Conference - Women, Power and Connect and Freidrich Ebert Stiftung.
- 2018 ‘Women of Marginalized Communities: Concerns about Exclusions’ ICSSR and Aligarh Muslim University.
- 2018 ‘Democracy and Diversity’ - Deepening Diversity, Women’s Rights and Democracy CAFI, Manipur Gun Survivors Network, Northeast India Initiative for Peace and MARG, supported by EU.
- 2016 School of Life for survivors of domestic violence - CFAR at Mandoli Village, Delhi.
- 2016 ‘Democracy, Social Exclusion and Rights in Contemporary India’, National Seminar organized by Miranda House, University of Delhi and ICSSR.
- 2016 Invited speaker at a seminar on Recognizing the Milestones and Challenges Ahead, organized by Centre For Advocacy Research at IIC.
- 2019 ‘Higher Education in India: The Case of AUD’ Shiv Nadar School, Gurgaon.
- 2019 ‘Women and Work: The Pursuit of Dignity and Freedom’ National Brain Research Centre, Manesar, Haryana.
- 2019 Significance of International Women’s Day’ Lakshmi Bai College, University of Delhi
- 2018 ‘Grammar of Democracy’ MCR HRD Institute, Govt. of Telangana - 93rd Foundation Course for Civil Service Probationers
- 2018 ‘Women, Democracy and Change’ MCR HRD Institute, Govt. of Telangana - 93rd Foundation Course for Civil Service Probationers
- 2018 ‘Understanding Gender’ Key Concepts and Critical Thinking Course St. Stephens’s College, University of Delhi
- 2018 ‘Mapping Women’s and Gender Studies’ Faculty Development Program, Hans Raj College, University of Delhi.
- 2018 ‘Question of Feminist Pedagogy: Teaching the Nation State’ Faculty Development Programme, Hans Raj College, University of Delhi.
- 2018 ‘Grammar of Democracy’ Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie - 93rd Foundation Course for the Officer Trainees
- 2018 ‘History of Feminisms’ VIPS affiliated with the Indraprastha University, Delhi
- 2018 ‘Making an Argument’ Department of History, Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi
- 2018 ‘India: in Pursuit of Democracy’ American Institute of Indian Studies to a faculty group from the University of Denver, Colorado
- 2017 The Grammar of Democracy’ - 92nd Foundation Course at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie.
- 2017 ‘Transnational Feminisms: Issues of Marginalisation and Intersectionality’ Women’s Studies Department, University of Wisconsin Eau Claire, USA; Indian Institute of Dalit Studies, India; and Women’s Studies and Development Centre, University of Delhi, India.
- 2017 ‘Transnational Feminism with Special Focus on South Asian Feminism’. St. Teresa’s College (Autonomous), Ernakulam, Kerala.
- 2017 ‘International Women’s Day’ National Minorities Development and Finance Corporation, Government of India.
- 2016 ‘Understanding Marxist Feminism and Radical Feminism' - National Workshop on Feminist Theory: Women's Studies and Development Centre, University of Delhi.
- 2016 ‘The Nation and its Music-Some Questions of Caste and Gender in the Classical Performing Arts of South India'. School of Development Studies, Ambedkar University Delhi.
- 2015 Women’s Movement in India’ Department of Psychology-Lady Shri Ram College, University of Delhi.
- 2015 ‘Women and the Law’ Hans Raj College, University of Delhi.
- 2016 ‘Gender and Health and Education in India’. Centre For Advocacy Research.
- 2015 ‘Contemporary Women’s Movement: Issues and Challenges’ O.P. Jindal Global University.
- 2015 Socialist Feminism and Feminist Political theory’ Centre for Women’s Development Studies, University of Delhi.
- 2015 ‘Gender and Music’ Refresher course organised by JNU Academic Staff College.
- 2014 ‘Decoding Democracy’ Foundation Course of the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration, Mussoorie, September, 2014.
- 2013 ‘Feminist Understanding of Equality, Freedom, Dignity for Women’ Justice Sunanda Bhandare Memorial Seminar, Justice Sunanda Bhandare Memorial Trust and WDC, Lady Shri Ram College.
- 2012 ‘Human Rights: An Introduction to the Concept of Gender’ UGC Sensitization Conference on Human Rights, Department of Public Administration, Jamia Milia Islamia.
- 2012 ‘Gender and Democracy’ Gender, Democracy and Peacebuilding in South Asia, Ninth Annual Conflict Transformation Workshop, WISCOMP, New Delhi.
- 2004 ‘Origin and Development of the Concept of Human Rights’ - Refresher Course on Human Rights. University of Delhi.
- 2004 ‘Gender and Environment’ CPDHE, University of Delhi.
- 2020 https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2020-02-06/women-take-prominent-role-in-indias-nationwide-protests
- 2019 Moderator and Chair of a Panel Discussion on Social Construction of Shaming at All India Radio’s Overseas Broadcast for the Programme titled Dateline Delhi http://airworldservice.org/english/archives/97199
- 2020 The Wire Nirbhaya Case: All the Issues India Needs to Talk About https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZEFZvsKw0U
- Trained Bharatanatyam, Odissi and Mohiniattam dancer with over two decades of stage experience Trained Carnatic musician with advanced training.
Classical Dance Reviews
- Classical Dance Critic of the Indian Express (New Delhi Edition)- 1993-96
Publications in newsletters
- 2012 ‘Mohiniyattam’, India International Centre Diary.
- 2003 ‘South Breeze’, India International Centre Diary.
- 2000 ‘Secularism Re-examined’, India International Centre Diary.
- 1999 ‘Annual Visit’, India International Centre Diary.
- 1998 ‘Community Health in Kerala’, India International Centre Diary.
- 1990 ‘Inequality and Democracy’, India International Centre Diary.
- 2016-Present Professor, Gender Studies, School of Human Studies, Ambedkar University Delhi
- 1990-2016 Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi
- 1989-1990 Lecturer, Department of Political Science, School of Social Science, Indra Gandhi National Open University
- 2017-2021 Dean, School of Human Studies, Ambedkar University Delhi
- 2015-2016 Director, Centre for Peace, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi
- 2019- Co-Editor-in-Chief, International Feminist Journal of Politics
- 22019-2020 Editor Special Issue on Gender and Higher Education, WISCOMP’s Peace Prints
- 2018- Editorial Board, Peace Prints, WISCOMP
- 2018-2019 Associate Editor, International Feminist Journal of Politics
- 2017- Member, National Advisory Board, Contemporary Social Scientist, Mizoram University
- 2014 Peer Reviewer, Journal of Creative Communication, Ahmadabad
- 2013 Peer Reviewer, Global Public Health: An International Journal for Research, Policy and Practice
My Zone / Area of Expertise
Resource Person at International and National Workshop
- 2021 International Webinar: Connect with Our Editors International Feminist Journal of Politics
- 2020 RUSA UGC Refresher Course in Political Science and Public Administration, Osmania University ‘Women and Political Participation in India, with special reference to elections’
- 2020 RUSA UGC Faculty Improvement Programme at Osmania University ‘Feminist Pedagogy and the Question of Dignity and Safe/Brave Spaces’.
- 2020 Valedictory Address at the VIPS (GGSIP university) in the Gender, Society and Law - Value Added Certificate Course.
- 2020 International Webinar: Connect with our Editors International Feminist Journal of Politics
- 2020 ‘Intersectionality’ Gender and Labour organized by CWDS and ICSSR with WSDC, University of Delhi.
- 2019 ‘Gender, Dignity and Higher Education’ Gender Equity and Inclusion: Transformative Pathways in Higher Education at Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences, Bhubaneswar and WISCOMP.
- 2019 ‘Global feminism- Contexts and Challenges’ -Women’s Studies and Development Centre and the Indian Institute of Dalit Studies with the Women’s Studies department of the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire, USA.
- 2019 ‘Gender Equity and Inclusion: Transformative Pathways in Higher Education’ at St. Teresa’s College, Kochi and WISCOMP as part of a project on Gender Equity: Women’s Equality, Empowerment and Leadership through Safe Higher Educational and Work Spaces Project supported by the Public Affairs Department of the American Embassy.
- 2018 Gender Sensitization on behalf of the National Commission for Women, at the Kerala Police Academy, Thrissur, Kerala for 600 women recruits in the Kerala Police.
- 2018 Gendering the Smart Safe City Workshop organized by King’s College, London and JAGORI and supported by UK Arts and Humanities Research Council on ‘Gender and the Smart City’.
- 2016 Engendering Research-Perspectives and Possibilities- International Workshop for faculty from Sherubtse College, Royal Bhutan Embassy, Bhutan and WISCOMP, New Delhi.
- 2017 ‘What is Feminist Theory’- National Workshop on Gender Mainstreaming and Research on Women’s Issues organized by the WSDC DU in collaboration with Commonwealth of Universities Association.
- 2017 Chief Guest and Speaker at the consultative workshop organized by PRAGYA (UN Trust Fund) on ‘Primary Prevention of Violence Against Women of Ethnic Minority Communities’.
- 2016 ‘Writing Research Papers-Is there a Feminist Research Method- questions of inter disciplinarity’ -Department of History Lady Shri Ram College for Women, University of Delhi.
- 2015 ‘Creative Dialogues on Violence Prevention’, Resisting Violence- In Pursuit of Equality. WISCOMP, New Delhi.
- 2015 ‘Feminist Research Methodology’ Qualitative Research Methodology, NUEPA, New Delhi.
- 2015 ‘Law and Gender in the Workplace’. In-service Course for Post Graduate Teachers of Computer Sc (2nd Spell) Kendriya Vidyalaya organized by MHRD, GOI.
- 2020 WISCOMP Saahas Pragya Award for Contribution to Gender Knowledge and Higher Education
- 2009 Teacher of Distinction, University of Delhi
Grants and Projects
- 2017-2020 Principal Investigator, UGC-UKIERI Collaborative Research Grant AUD- University of Edinburgh
Project: “Teaching Feminisms, Transforming Lives: Questions of Identity, Pedagogy, and Violence in India and the UK”
- 2018-2020 Consultant and Resource Person, WISCOMP-AUD
Project: “Hamsa: Campus Equity Initiative” American Embassy Collaborative Research Grant
2019-2020 Knowledge Partner, AUD-Azad Foundation
- Project: “Making Non-Traditional Livelihoods Work for the Marginalized”
2015 Principal Investigator, AUD Research Grant
- Project: “New Urban Spaces and the Negotiations of Women’s Subjectivity
2018 Critical Reader, Indian Feminist Judgment Writing
- Project. Global Jindal University.
2018 Commentary on the Charu Khurana vs Union of India Judgement at the Indian Feminist Judgement Writing
- Project organized by Global Jindal University, Ambedkar University Delhi.
- 6 across Women and Gender Studies and Comparative Literature, Ambedkar University Delhi
- 3, Department of Political Science, University of Delhi
- 8, across Women and Gender Studies and Development Practice, Ambedkar University Delhi
- 2, Department of Political Science, University of Delhi
Manuscripts in Preparation
- Forthcoming The Gendered Body and Its Fragments (Routledge)
- Forthcoming Constitutional Democracy and Governance in India (Orient BlackSwan)
- Forthcoming “Vectors and Warp Speed: Hypermasculinity on the rise once again” International Feminist Journal of Politics
Publications in Journals
Brooke A. Ackerly , Elisabeth Jay Friedman , Krishna Menon & Marysia Zalewski ( June, 2021) Violence: no bright lines between conflict and peace, International Feminist Journal of Politics, 23:3, 371-373, DOI: 10.1080/14616742.2021.1932281
- Brooke A. Ackerly (she/her/hers), Elisabeth Jay Friedman (she/her/hers), Krishna Menon (she/her/hers) & Marysia Zalewski (they/them/theirs)2021 Feminist editing in an unfeminist world, International Feminist Journal of Politics, 23:2, 189 191, DOI: 10.1080/14616742.2021.1905971https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14616742. 021.1905971
- 2020 ‘Towards Freedom and Equality: Women’s Education in India’ and edited the Special Issue on Gender and Higher Education, WISCOMP’s Peace Prints.
- 2020 ‘COVID-19: shifting paradigms’ International Journal of Feminist Politics 10.1080/14616742.2020.1796363
- 2020 “Epistemological pitfalls of homogenization in the politics of resistance” International Feminist Journal of Politics. 10.1080/14616742.2020.1843873
- 2020 “Research ethics and epistemic oppression” International Feminist Journal of Politics. 310.1080/14616742.2020.1771006
- 2020 “Feminism + knowledge + politics” International Feminist Journal of Politics 10.1080/14616742.2020.1703715.
- 2018 “The State of Care, Work, Ethics and Gender” Contemporary Social Scientist X(ii).
- 2014 “Daily Border Crossings: Negotiations of Gender, Body and Subjectivity in the Lives of Women Workers in Urban Malls” Cultural Encounters, Conflicts, and Resolutions.
- 2012 “Divine Music, Evil Women: Gender and Music in the Making of Modern South India” Interdisciplinary.net
- 2009 “Current Research Trends in Indian Politics: The Debate Between Development and Democracy” Journal of South Asian Studies.
- 1995 “Politics in Kerala” The IIC Quarterly.
- 1990 “Frauen Und Recht In Indien: Aspekte Eines Strebens Nach Freiheit in Indien In Der Gegenwart”.
- 2020 “Gender Mainstreaming in Politics, Administration and Development in South Asia” South Asian Journal of Policy and Governance, Public Administration Campus, Central Department of Publication, Tribhuvan University.
- 2013 “Democracy and its Institutions” Studies in Indian Politics, SAGE.
- 2013 “A Grief to Bury: Memories of Love, Work and Loss by Vasanth Kannabiran” Intersections: Gender and Sexuality in Asia and the Pacific, Australian National University.
- 2020 Doing Feminisms in the Academy. Zubaan.
- 2019 Social Movements in Contemporary India. Sage Texts.
- 2009 Human Rights, Gender and the Environment. Pearson.
- 2017 Resisting Violence: Annotated Bibliography and Documents on Initiatives to Challenge Violence Against Women. WISCOMP.
- 2018 Women’s Safety in the National Capital Territory of Delhi: A Report. Delhi Police.
- 2018 “Women’s Political Participation in India” Women and Empowerment in Contemporary India. Worldview.
- 2018 “State Intervention in Women’s Rights” Women and Empowerment in Contemporary India. Worldview.
- 2018 Classical Political Theory. MHRD Government of India.
- 2018 Gender Violence and Human Rights. Orientation Programme, MOOC Lecture,
- 2017 Conventional Understanding of the Political. E-Gyankosh.
- 2015 Women and Political Process. Indira Gandhi National Open University.
- 2015 Conventional Understanding of the Political” Women and the Political Process. IGNOU.
- 2015 “Feminist Perspectives of Political” Development Planning and Administration. IGNOU.
- 2014 “Dalit Feminism and the Question of Violence” Women’s Studies in India. Rawat Publications
- 2012 “Secularism and the Communal Challenge” The Nature of the Indian State. NCERT.
- 2011 “Women as Question/Women in Question in the West: 19th and 20th Centuries” Theories of Women’s Studies. IGNOU.
- 2005 “Why do we need a Parliament?” Social and Political Life Part III. NCERT.
- 2004 “Theories of State” Modern World: Essential Components. IGNOU.
- 2004 “On Equality” Social and Political Life: Part II. NCERT.
- 2003 “Poverty in India” Development Planning and Administration. IGNOU.
- 2003 “Key Elements of a Democratic Government” Social and Political Life: Part I. NCERT.
Chapters in Books
- 2020 Women in Bhakti Tradition: A Critical Perspective’ Ancient and Medieval Indian Thought: Themes and Traditions. Sage Texts.
- 2020 ‘Women of Marginalized Communities: Concerns About Exclusion’ Women of Marginalized Communities: Concerns About Exclusion. Sarup Book Publishers.
- 2019 ‘When Feminist Sidestep the Nation-State: Transnational Feminist Journeys’ Women’s and Gender Studies in India. Routledge.
- 2019 ‘Of Teachers and Students’ A Song Called Teaching. Aakar.
- 2019 ‘The ‘Right’ Music: Caste and ‘Classical’ Music in South India’ Discourse on Rights in India: Debates and Dilemmas. Routledge.
- 2018 ‘Deepening Democracy: Women’s Rights and Democracy’ Addressing Democracy Diversity, Racial and Gender Based Violence with Focus on Sexual Violence in Conflict Areas in India. MARG.
- 2017 ‘In the Middle: Mediating the Mall, Home and the World Outside’ Locating Gender in the New Middle-Class India. IIAS Shimla.
- 2016 ‘State Intervention in Women’s Rights’ Women and Empowerment in Contemporary India. Worldview.
- 2016 ‘On the Question of Free Speech and Censorship’ The State of Hurt Sentiment, Politics, Censorship. Sage.
- 2011 ‘Human Rights: A Theoretical Foray’ Applied Ethics and Human Rights. Anthem Press
- 2008 ‘Justice’ Political Theory. Pearson Longman.
- 2008 ‘Sovereignty’ Political Theory. Pearson Longman.
- 2017 ‘Migrant Women and Wage Employment: Exploring Issues of Work and Identity Among Health Care Professionals’ -V. V. Giri National Labour Institute, NOIDA.
- 2019 ‘Lessons from Hyderabad: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow’-GenderEd University of Edinburgh.
- 2019 ‘When the Law Against Violence Becomes Violent’- GenderEd University of Edinburgh.
- 2018 ‘16 Days of Activism Against Gender Based Violence’ GenderED, University of Edinburg.
- 2021 ‘On Gender Mainstreaming and Governance in South Asia’ in The Daily Star. January 21, 2021. Bangladesh
- 2019 ‘Through the Lens of Gender and Sexuality’ - Dancing with the Nation by Ruth Vanita, The Book Review.
- 2018 ‘The Evolving Politics of Odissi’ Review of Languid Bodies, Grounded Stances by Nandini Sikand, The Book Review.
- 2017 ‘An Insider’s Perspective’ Review of Kathakali Dance Theatre: A Visual Narrative of Sacred Indian Mime by K. K. Gopalakrishnan, The Book Review.
- 2016 ‘ Jalsa: Indian Women and Their Journeys From the Salon to the Studio’ by Vidya Shah. The Book Review.
- 2016 ‘ Feminisms of Discontent: Global Contestations’ by Ashleigh Barnes” The Book Review.
- 2016 ‘ Indian Classical Dance: The Renaissance and Beyond’ by Leela Venkataraman, The Book Review.
- 2015 ‘ Crafting Through Words, Shaping the World: Women Writers on Themselves’ by Manju Kapur. The Book Review.
- 2014 ‘Of Ownership and Control: Review of Women, Land and Power in Asia’ by Maitreyi Krishna Raj and Govind Kelkar. The Book Review
- 2014 ‘ Gender and Neoliberalism’ by E. Armstrong” The Book Review.
- 2014 ‘ Ladyland’ by Begum Rokeya Shekhawat Hossain. The Book Review.
- 2012 ‘ Family and the Law in India’ Flavia Agnes. The Book Review.
- 1999 ‘ Interrogating Culture’ by Sara Joseph. Seminar.
Articles in Periodicals and Newspapers
- 2021 ‘No Malayalam, please: What does a Delhi hospital’s diktat say about the value placed on care work?.
- 2020 ‘Claiming Public Spaces, Challenging Patriarchy’ -The Tribune.
- 2019 ‘Numbers Lie in Indian Politics: Contribution of Women Grossly Underplayed’- The Outlook.
- 2017 ‘Anekantavada: Guru-Shishya Parampara’- Attendance.
- 2016 ‘Marital Rape and the Dynamics of Power’ -The Asian Age/The Deccan Chronicle .
- 2016 ‘Society is the Real Widow Maker’ -The Asian Age/The Deccan Chronicle.
- 2016 ‘What Women Want’ -The Asian Age/The Deccan Chronicle.
- 2016 ‘Temples of Equality’- The Asian Age/The Deccan Chronicle.
Invited Talks, Lectures, Conferences
Memorial Lectures/Public Lectures
- 2018 ‘Feminist Explorations of Contemporary South Asia’- The Chrystal MacMillan Lecture, University of Edinburgh.
- 2019 ‘Feminist Pedagogy and the Challenges and Possibilities of Teaching Feminist Movements in South Asia’ The Professor Nirmal Kanti Majumdar Memorial Lecture, Department of Political Science and Economics, Presidency University, Kolkata.
Seminar / Conferences
Paper Presented in National/ International Conferences
- 2020 ‘Voicing Democracy in India: Women and the Contemporary Political Moment’ International Feminist Journal of Politics Conference at Nashville, USA.
- 2020 ‘The Why and How of Diversity and Inclusion’ Symbiosis International University Pune and Association of Indian Universities.
- 2020 ‘Identity, Gender, Breaking Ground’ Symbiosis Institute of Social Sciences, Pune , De Paul University, Chicago, USA.
- 2019 ‘Feminist Pedagogy and the University as a Safe Space: Experiences and Challenges.’ Teaching Feminisms, Transforming Lives: Questions of Identity, Pedagogy and Violence in India and the UK, UGC-UKIERI Joint Research Project.
- 2019 ‘When Women Lead: The Feminist Leadership Challenge in Institutions of Higher Education in India and the UK.’ Teaching Feminisms, Transforming Lives: Questions of Identity, Pedagogy and Violence in India and the UK, UGC-UKIERI Joint Research Project.
- 2018 Teaching Feminisms, Transforming Lives, AUD-University of Edinburgh UGC- UKIERI Grant, Edinburgh ‘Towards Equality and Freedom: Women’s Education in India’
- 2018 International Women’s Day: Women and Spirituality, Embassy of Costa Rica and Brahma Kumari Retreat Centre Women and Spirituality
- 2018 ‘Identity, Race, and Gender’ Northeast India and Southeast Asia: Exploring Continuities, North East Forum, Centre for Community Knowledge, Ambedkar University Delhi-Indian Council for Social Science Research.
- 2018 ‘Mediums of Knowledge Production’ University of Edinburgh, UGC-UKIERI Teaching Feminisms, Transforming Lives: Questions of Identity, Pedagogy and Violence in India and the UK
- 2018 ‘To be or not to be: Autonomy in Question’ National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NEUPA)
- 2018 ‘When Women Study’ Feminism + Knowledge + Politics International Feminist Journal of Politics, San Francisco.
- 2017 ‘Towards Equality and Freedom: Women’s Education in India’ Teaching Feminisms, Transforming Lives, AUD-University of Edinburgh UGC- UKIERI Grant, New Delhi
- 2017 ‘The Pedagogy of Feminism and the Nation State’ Walking the Talk: Feminist Reflections on International Practices, International Feminist Journal of Politics and South Asian University, New Delhi.
- 2017 ‘The Right to Music, The Right to Music- Democracy and Classical Music in South India’ UGC CAS-SAP Department of Political Science, University of Delhi.
- 2017 ‘Disabling Feminist Theory: Problematizing Sexuality and Violence’ UGC-CAS-SAP, Department of Political Science, University of Delhi, Research Network on Feminist Engagement with the Law and the State.
- 2017 ‘Gender and Governance- Questions of Governance Feminism’ Institute for Advanced Studies, Centre with Potential for Excellence, Osmania University, Hyderabad
- 2017 ‘Understanding the Nature of the Indian State-A Feminist Perspective’ XIV National Conference on Women’s Studies, Indian Association for Women’s Studies, Chennai.
- 2017 ‘The Female Body and its Fragments: Negotiation, Violence and Resistance in South Asia Chair of the panel and presented a paper titled ‘The Many Bodies of Indian Democracy’ Association for Asian Studies in Toronto, Canada.
- 2016 ‘Gendering Bhakti in South India’ Meerabai, Samekit Punarmulyankan Sahitya Academy, New Delhi.
- 2016 ‘Divine Music-Evil Women. Caste, Gender and Music in the making of Modern South India’ Centre for the Study of Social Systems, School of Social Sciences- CSSS Colloquium, JNU
- 2015 Chair at Panel Discussion on Gender, Conflict ICSSR National Seminar on ‘Gender, Identity and Migration in India’, Department of Political Science, University of Delhi, August, 2015.
- 2015 ‘Schooling the Indian Woman’s Body: Questions of Gender and Globalisation in Asia’ Social Sciences, Sociology and Globalisation in Asia, Hiroshima, Japan.
- 2015 ‘The Temple, the Stage and the Bar” International Conference of the Association of Asian Studies, Chicago, USA.
- 2014 ‘Free Speech and Censorship in India’ Public Deliberation and Global Affairs, Arctic University, Norway.
- 2014 ‘Locating Gender in the New Middle Class in India’ Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla and Women’s Studies and Development Centre, University of Delhi
- 2013 ‘Feminism and the Exclusion of Women with Disabilities’ Social Exclusion: Meanings and Perspectives, Centre for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policies, Central University, Hyderabad, India.
- 2013 ‘Understanding Dalit Feminism: A Passage To India’ Winston Salem University, USA, and Lady Shri Ram College.
- 2013 ‘The Question of Gender in the Teaching of Political Science’ Teaching Gender: Problems and Prospects in Different Disciplines Institute of Lifelong learning, Lady Shri Ram College and Women’s Studies Development Centre.
- 2013 Women’s Only Educational Institutions-Feminist Spaces or Bastions of Patriarchy?’ Women and Higher Education: Challenges and Prospects’, University Women’s Association, University of Delhi.
- 2012 ‘Revisiting Harm, Humour and Humiliation’ The State of Hurt: Sentiment, Politics, Censorship, Sri Venkateswara College, University of Delhi.
- 2012 ‘The Politics of Sex-Selective Abortion in India’ Awareness and Training Programme on State of Gender and Rights of Women: Focus on Deteriorating Female Sex Ration, Foeticide and Infanticide in Gwalior Chambal Region of Madhya Pradesh, Jiwaji Rao Universtiy, Gwalior.
- 2012 Ethics of Sex-Selective Abortion’, Ethics and Politics, UGC and Jesus and Mary College, University of Delhi.
- 2012 ‘Dalit Feminist Notions of Rape and Violence’ Feminism and the Law, ILS Law College, Pune; University of New South Wales, Australia; and University of Technology, Sydney, Australia.
- 2012 ‘Divine Music, Evil Women-Gender and Music in the Making of Modern South India’, Evil Women and the Feminine IV, Inter-disciplinary.net. Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2011 ‘Understanding Development and Democracy in India’ Contextualizing Democracy in 21st Century: Perspectives and Challenges’ UGC and Kalindi College, University of Delhi.
- 2011 ‘Development Debates in the Context of the North-East’ North-East India Political Science Association, XIX Annual Conference, Rajiv Gandhi Central University, Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh.
- 2011 ‘Creative Uncertainty of Political Theory’ Forum on Contemporary Theory: Transcending Disciplinary Decadence, Exploring Challenges of Teaching in the Humanities and the Social Sciences, Temple University, USA; Baroda University, India; and IIS University, Jaipur, India.
- 2011 ‘Dalit Feminist Understanding of Rape and Violence’ Other Indias: The Richness of Indian Multiplicity, University of La Laguna, Spain
- 2011 Dalit Feminism and the Question of Violence’ In the Name of Honour: Dialogue on Androcentric Matrimonial Practices and Women’s Subjugation in South Asia, Women’s Studies and Development Centre, Academic Research Centre, University of Delhi.
- 2010 ‘Dalit Women Speak’ Breaking Boundaries Shared Spaces IAWRT, New Delhi.
- 2010 ‘Can the Dalit Women Speak’ International Women’s Day Lakshmibai College, and UGC ,University of Delhi.
- 2010 ‘Philosophy and the Value of Dance: Why Do I Dance’- World Dance Day organised by UNESCO, Ministry of Culture, IIC and Natyavriksha.